Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My First 140.6 Ironman Distance Triathlon..This is For You Dani!


Tomorrow is May 1. May is Brain Cancer Awareness month. I thought it would be the perfect time to start my campaign against brain cancer. You see last year on May 15 my beloved cousin and friend Danielle Lynn-Avia (aka "Smoxy") lost her heroic battle with brain cancer (glioblastoma). It was seven years of fighting and giving life everything that she had before cancer took her life. This video shows some of the highlight's of Dani's life, which was full but much too short.

Today her memory lives on not only with her family but among many other cancer survivors and people that were inspired by Dani's courageous spirit. Just earlier this month my Aunt Sue and her family traveled to the First Descents Ball to accept an award called the "Outliving it" award on behalf of Dani. This video shows the story of Dani and First Descents, an organization that helped Dani live out some of her dreams and see the world.

This year to honor Danielle's fight I will complete my first full Ironman distance race at REVOLUTION3 Triathlon (REV3TRI) Cedar Point on September 7, 2014. For those who aren't aware, the race consists of a 2.5 mile swim, 112 mile bikeride and 26.2 mile run. Basically it is a LONG triathlon where you run a full marathon at the end. Yes, it's crazy and yes, it will be a challenge for me!

To date I've completed more than 100 running races including a couple of marathons (soon to be my third) and probably somewhere between 30-40 triathlons including a few 70.3 half Ironman distance races. This will be the biggest race of my life so far! That's both exciting and nervewracking.

My goal is to cross the finish line raising as much money for brain cancer research as possible. As part of ABTA Team Breakthrough I can honor Danielle and help others fighting the same disease. I may not set a world record as to speed but that is not what this is about. I am a newbie at this distance. My only expectations are to finish and hopefully with some time to spare.

Please help me fight brain cancer by donating. Any amount from $5-500 helps. Beyond donating please share with your friends and family and ask them for their support. Together we can beat cancer! If you have other suggestions about fundraising ideas please comment or send me a message. 



To donate click here and you'll be directed to a secure website. If you prefer to send the money via mail please send to:

Team Breakthrough
c/o American Brain Tumor Association
8550 W. Bryn Mawr, Suite 550Chicago, IL 60631Be sure to include my name/Team Breakthrough in the memo.


No comments:

Post a Comment