Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kirtland Strides of March 5K Race Report

Some things just turn out better than you expect they will. The Kirtland Strides of March 5K was one of those things. It's close to home and for a good cause so my husband and I had it on the race calendar as a tentative. After running St. Malachi a couple weeks back and both running PRs, we decided to keep it on the calendar as a good possibility (assuming we both felt good about it closer to race date).

Saturday we discussed and both felt positively that the weather and conditions should be plausible for a decent race. We decided to run it assuming we felt fine that next morning so we went ahead and got our race stuff ready the night before and headed to bed at a reasonable time. We woke up and felt okay. I didn't feel very nervous, which was not the case with St Malachi. We got dressed in our race gear, ate some granola and headed to the Holden Arboretum, where the race was starting to register.

Once registered, we headed back to the car to pin our bibs on, get our stuff ready and did a mile warm-up at a 9-minute pace just to warm up. When we lined up I wasn't feeling a victory but was secretly hoping to place at least in my age group. I lined up in front and tried to fight my desire to take off too fast at the start as I have a tendency to do. My first mile was a wee bit fast at 6:45 but reasonable. For a little bit I thought I was second place female as I had passed one female and only saw one more ahead. Not the case. We hit the turn-around since it was an out and back and I realized I was in third. Still third overall is good I will take it! So the trick was just to hold onto it, which is always easier said than done. I bonked a little around mile 2.5 and stopped for a few seconds. I thought to myself you had better get moving again because if you loose third because you are a sissy and walk that is not cool. So off I went. The course was a little hilly so it wasn't the easiest 5k ever but that just makes placing even sweeter.

I came in third with a time of 22:33 (not a PR but a good time for me now). Second place female was 21:34 - about a minute ahead. Also almost ten years younger ;) First place female was 19:19. Not bad for early season. As you can see from my smile I was happy to place. A special thank you to my my sponsors especially Swiftwick for keeping my feet happy and PowerBar Team Elite for fueling my workouts and of course Rev3 Triathlon and my Team Rev3 teammates for all the support! You guys are awesome!

Steve was 11th overall to my 21 and placed third in his age group with a time of 20:03. All in all we were happy with the result. Especially since we have not been doing speed and have been focusing on longer endurance runs and also lots of biking and swimming.

After the race we ran another eight to make our goal for the week. Next up is a half marathon in a couple weeks. Hoping to have another PR and who knows if I am lucky maybe I will place again. Watch for the race report in a few weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Pam! Way to keep it moving despite such a fast start - sometimes going out too fast can make the rest of the race miserable but you toughed it out and ended up on the podium!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 3rd place!! You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the OA finish! i love love love 5ks.... and kinda miss them right now.... so short and hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heidi. Wasn't expecting it. Actually was a little slower than I thought I would be that day but happy to place in top 3! I wish I could do more short races too. I have a 1/2 marathon Sunday. Hope to PR there. We shall see! Send those happy thoughts my way!

    ReplyDelete