Why did I sign up to run a full marathon at the beginning of tri season you ask? I really want to do the full in support of my dear friend Jill who will be making her second attempt as a first time marathoner. Last year she was sidelined with a stress fracture and I was injured too with the whole stress reaction thing (not fun).
Second I am also very excited to be running the marathon as part of Girls With Soles' Team Lula. I am a fundraiser for Girls With Sole because I believe what Liz and the team do is amazing! Please be sure to check them out. And if you can spare a buck or two please help by clicking on the link below: http://www.imathlete.com/donate/PamelaMcGowan?z=1360700962967
Finally it's always difficult creating a race schedule until I see how my spring is shaping up. I have a tendency to be injured at this time of the year. I have taken a lot of steps to ensure that does not happen this season so I am cautiously optimistic that things will turn out as I am planning.
What's different about the schedule this year is that I am throwing some trail running into the mix. I really enjoy it - in fact I started the season off with a trail race, which was a blast! So as of now here is the schedule I hope to follow should the running and triathlon gods bestow their grace on me this season:
- February 10 - Dirty Love 10K - Willoughby Hills, OH
- March 16 - St Malachi 5 miler - Cleveland, OH
- April 20 - On My Own Two Feet 1/2 Marathon - Kent, OH
- May 5 - Rev3 Knoxville Olympic Tri - Knoxville, TN
- May 19 - Cleveland Marathon - Cleveland, OH
- June 23 - Rev3 Williamsburg Oly Tri - Willamsburg, VA
- July 7 - Milton Man Olympic Tri - Lake Milton, OH
- July 20 - Dog Days Century Ride -
- July 28 - Fairport Harbor Lighthouse Sprint Tri - Fairport Harbor, OH
- August 11 - The Perfect 10 Miler - Lyndhurt, OH
- September 8 - Rev3 Cedar Point 70.3 Tri - Sandusky, OH
- September 28 - Akron Marathon Relay - Akron, OH
- September 29 - Girls With Sole Believe & Achieve Trail 5 or 10K - Kirtland, OH
- October 13 - Lake Health Full Marathon - Fairport Harbor, OH
- November 2 - For the Shirt Ultra (6 or 12 hr run TBD) - Warren, OH
- November 24 - Fall Classic Half Marathon - Strongsville, OH - maybe
- November 28 - Painesville Turkey Trot 5K, Painesville, OH
- December 15 - Santa Shuffle Half Marathon - Sandusky, OH - maybe
So there it is folks. As you can see I will be a busy girl this year! No 140.6 planned at the moment but a good amount of triathlons in there and some trail running too! Of course I am most excited about my Team Rev3 races! I'm hoping my legs hold up well in the fall and if they do I will run a fall marathon with the intent to run my first ultra marathon in December. No 100 miler or anything crazy like that but at least a 50K. Sounds like fun doesn't it?! Here we go 2013!!